Free Cavity Wall Insulation Grants

grants are now available

Find out in 5 seconds if you are eligible for
100% FREE energy efficiency upgrades

Simply enter your postcode to find out...

This 100% Government backed nationwide scheme delivers free energy efficiency improvements as part of the Energy Company Obligation (ECO4).

Cavity Wall Insulation Grants

Cavity Wall Insulation is one of the best ways to reduce your heating bills. If you are in receipt of qualifying benefit, free grants are available to cover the cost of installing cavity wall insulation in your property. If your home is privately owned or rented and is occupied when the survey is conducted then you are entitled to this government backed grant. Grants are not available to council / social housing. We do not process grants for properties with gas boilers.

Who Pays For The Insulation?

The money to pay for Room In Roof Insulation comes from energy suppliers as part of a government scheme to reduce carbon emissions, known as the Energy Companies Obligation (ECO4). An initial survey is carried out by an approved installer, the installer completes the work on the approved property and the installer then invoices the utility companies for the grant amount.

If for any reason you don’t qualify for the full grant you could still qualify for a large contribution to the cost of the work, meaning a small amount is to be paid.

Who Can Apply?

Home owners and private tenants are entitled to grants, depending on their circumstances. For tenants will need written permission from the landlord before going ahead with the work, but we will take care of this for you.

Qualifying Walls

You can also tell whether it is ‘Cavity Wall’ or “Solid Wall” by a quick look at the brick layout on your external walls. Cavity walls will have rectangular shaped brick patterning, whereas Solid Walls will have some rows with square bricks (this is because the bricks are turned sideways and therefore the wall does not have a cavity).


Cavity Wall grants are solely for the main building. If you have an extension to your property then, in order to qualify for an insulation grant, it must be at least 60% of the overall property.

Qualifying Benefits

To qualify for funding, someone living in the property needs to be in receipt of at least one of the benefits listed below:

  • Income based Jobseekers Allowance (JSA)
  • Income related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Income Support (IS)
  • Pension Credit Guarantee Credit (PCGC)
  • Working Tax Credit (WTC)
  • Child Tax Credit (CTC)
  • Universal Credit (UC)
  • Housing Benefit
  • Pension Credit Savings Credit (PCSC)
  • Child Benefit, (within the income caps, see Chapter 5 of the ECO4 Guidance: Delivery)

* Household income limits apply

Gas Safe